MIDNIGHT!/ Thursday, July 15, 2010
Been busy the past week with the Asian University Waterpolo Championship! It's been a fulfilling experience, interacting with the different players and people from different countries. I was the liaison officer for the china team from Peking University Founder Technology College. There was another liaison officer following the china team, xiaodi. Altogether there were 26 participants, inclusive of the coach and team manager. The china ladies team emerged 1st runner up while the guys team came in 4th for this . I hope the china peeps had enjoyed their stay in singapore! It was awkard picking them up at the airport on the first day though. I felt slightly intimated then because most of them were taller than me and bigger size too! Now I understand what lizard meant when she said we're too small size already. We really am. Anyway, after a day or 2, they warmed up to me and we didnt have much of a communication problem. I didnt exactly bring them around the island, but they did visit the merlion and orchard road. I dont remember everybody's name, but i'll definitely remember their faces! And I was so used to speaking chinese already it's gonna take some time to switch back to speaking english!
The china team!The ladies final. It was really a tough fight, where the china team played against the uzbekistan team. The china team lost by a point, and the coach was red carded and sent off by the ref. Probably the coach had felt that the ref wasn't calling the foul and got very agitated. This is the first time I've seen him rebuke the ref! Even after he was sent off the playing area, he continued to give instructions to the players. -.- During the preliminary round, the china team had won the uzbekistan team by a point, where a last second goal by the china keeper sealed the win. The preliminary match was exciting too, because it was point for point and one could really see the effort both teams were putting in. Both teams deserve to win. For the finals though, it was the uzbekistan team who won by a point. And I didnt know about the existence of Uzbekistan until this competition! =x My geography totally sucks. Bleh.
China players at the starting line.

The ladies champion.
On the guys side, the most interesting match had to be the indonesia team vesus the pakistan team. The pakistan team was newly formed, and most of them had joined the competition so that they would have the chance to visit Singapore. They're really a happening group of people I feel! Afew of them only learnt water polo a few weeks before the competition?! But i'm very sure they've enjoyed themselves this competition. And it was really entertaining to watch this match, because the pakistan team was just too funny! One of the players, not the goalkeeper actually held the ball with both hands, which isnt allowed. And they hardly had the opportunity to bring the ball up to half court, because they only had afew players who could swim well. The spectators on grandstand were all cheering for the pakistan team when they scored! And pakistan actually managed 2goals for the mathc. They deserve the most entertaining team award!
The most disappointing team award has to go to the SMU team. They didnt turn up to play against Waseda, so I dont understand how the article in the singaporesports website came about (read previous post) SMU vs WU was supposed to be played at 3.20pm on sunday. At 3.20pm, they didnt even have a full team! It was decided that it would be a walkover then. SMU was disqualified. SMU side managed to have form a team with a mixture of players and they even requested for warmup time. When the game started, there was only one ref because the other ref was playing for SMU. The game was stopped after the first quarter by the ref, after some fighting happening inside the pool. I have no idea how the 5-0 score came about. That SMU didnt turn up definitely doesnt reflect nicely on singapore.
The centre ball was held by this ball thing which the officals would pull down when the game started.
The guys final. It was Waseda University vs Korea National Sport University. Both the korea and japan teams were hot favourites to top their groups in the preliminary round, and they both did. The first 3 quarters were very close, and the korea team were leading by a point for the first half. At the last quarter though, the japan team managed to pull open the goal difference and won the game 13-10! Wheee! I was supporting the japan team all throughout because my eyecandy is in there! He got mvp too! (: But i heard that because the korea team lost, they're werent allowed to go out and enjoy their last night of stay in singapore.
That's my ec! No8. He was sent off for 20s for a foul.

The japanese team celebrating their win.

Closing ceremony. The NUS guys team came in third, after beating china in the 3rd/4th placing match. Quite abit of controversy in the match, because the china team felt that the refs were biased towards the singapore team. I can detect abit of biasness too.
Eyecandy! He got the most valuable player award! (:
Weldon was the one of the flag bearers for the closing ceremony.

Alvin was also a flagbearer!
The liaison officers. Beatrice the korea's LO is missing from the picture. Clockwise from top: wenxian-china LO (he replaced xiaodi who injured herself during day2 of the com), asuka-japan LO, lloyd-uzbekistan LO, lloyd-pakistan LO, joycelyn-china LO, siti-indonesia LO.
I dunno how to spell her name, but she's the team manager for the japan ladies team. I like their team shirt, so I swopped my teamNUS shirt with hers. Thank God I brought that shirt!
There was an appreciation dinner for all the heads of delegates on monday night, before the finals at Sun Bistro. Picture taken with the china assistant coach and the japan team managers!Stayed at RH during this period, though I did go home on friday and saturday night. RH is newly renovated, so everything was almost new inside the room! I stayed at block 3, room 220 and the japan team was staying in the same block as me too! :D I wasnt used to the orientation of RH though. Got lost trying to look for my room and was lost again when I went back to siti's room to my room. -.- And watching so many waterpolo games made me feel like my ball catching got better during tuesday's training I dunno why. Haa. New training programme on tuesday which was more straining on my forearms. It's aching abit now.Sunbistro screened the world cup finals match on monday morning and I went down to watch the match. Spain won the world cup 1-0. It's the first in history where spain won the eurpoean and world cup titles. It was a 10man netherlands vs a 11man spain, because of a red card sent off by the ref in the last few minutes of the extra time period. Spain managed to score a goal because of that. By then I recall being very sleepy! KO-ed straight after I went back to my room. The ref gave alot of yellow cards in the match! It feels likethe entire holland team and half the spain team got yellow-carded expect for the goalkeeper.
I watched despicable me with eunice on saturday night! My first time watching the 3D version! I think there's not much movie between the 3D and 2D version. Anyway the movie characters are very cute! Haha. Hy made a minion for me! :D I'm gonna give it a name sometime soon! hehe. Ohh hy made a one-eye minion for eunice too!
my minion!
Past. Present. Future
7/15/2010 12:23:00 PM <3
>>>