MIDNIGHT!/ Monday, July 06, 2009
One more month before my semester break comes to an end! I'm quite glad I haven't looked for a job during this long break, because my holidays have been very fulfilling so much. I've learnt so much, had many firsts, new experiences and gained many new friendships.After sc pre-camp I've been busy with a few kayaking courses and SIE trainings. There's always room for improvement in each course/session that I spent with my participants, especially on how to better manage my group.Then came the actual Southern Island Expedition. Day0, afew of us met up early in the morning, to transfer kayaks over to East Coast and buy food for our expedition. It rained halfway through, so we were stuck at WVEC after we had unloaded all the kayaks. After that, we headed over to parkway parade to buy food! Zomg. We brought like 2 trolleys full of food! I think it was quite fun, placing all the bread and eggs and spreads and drinks and fruits and whatever else, in large quantity (in my opinion) into the trolleys. By the time we were done with the grocery shopping, it was time to head back to changi, to settle all the last minute preparations and a final briefing for my committee members. Then came the participants and the briefing for them. Sadly we didn't play any ice-breakers games that night!Day1, participants woke up around 6am, many of them got up much earlier actually. Breakfast was great! Egg mayo was a popular hit man. Breakfast and logistics settled, we headed over to East Coast to begin our expedition. I sat on the powerboat, with uncle phillip as the boatman. Gosh. I actually got sea-sick whilst sitting inside the powerboat! Too much turning in circles already. Lunch was at Seringat then we beached up at Sisters for overnight! There was supposedly a NDP rehearsal going that day..i wanted to catch the fireworks but I missed it! It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to view fireworks from Sisters island! Dinner that night was bbq...nice gathering that night I would say. And yes, there's so many people involved in uniform groups. We just formed a circle and started discussing about uniform groups. What a small world. Day2, participants woke up at 7am, to scrambled eggs! Eggs make the day I think. Haha. The participants were famished I supposed, all the breakfast we bought were gobbled up. We had a remaining loaf of bread from day1's breakfast and I prepared spreads so that participants could have it on the go..unfortunately, the lonely monkey on the island stole that loaf of bread! HMMMPH. Naughty monkey!!! *whacks the monkey* So the participants paddled all the way back to East Coast, near the hawker centre area. We took the bus back to WVCG, washed up all the logistics, had a final debrief and then released all the participants.Organising this expedition has been quite an experience for me, be it speaking to MPA, obtaining whatever permission was required for this expedition, getting down to check the logistics, working with my committee members etc. As with any other activity/event, there's room for improvement, especially since this event had been planned by many of us, who had little or no experience at all. Points that had been brought up during debrief won't be forgotten. Yepp. Communication is definitely important. Thanks meiying, for helping me so much in making this expedition a success. I'm sorry for snapping at you during our planning process! Thanks to my other committee members too! Jeremy, for coming up with the t-shirt design and games...i'm sure the games will be put into good use in future! Clement, for ensuring that all logistics were accounted for during the expedition. Zhihao, for getting all the boatmen for me. Jingxin and yeehan, for leading the expedition and taking charge of the participants. Siti, for thinking of the breakfast menu and preparing the breakfast and drinks! Thanks to all others, like tak, silas, yurong, keet, desmond, clarence, ivan for helping out as well! Thanks to all my participants too, for making this expedition a success. (:After SIE, came CP training camp. It was to start on thursday morning, but H1N1 caused the camp to be postpone until that evening. SDE FOC had a cases of h1n1 so they ended camp early and that affected cp camp indirectly because simin went for that camp and had a fever. Pending her results as to whether she was positive for h1n1, pb decided to postpone the camp until that evening. Thankfully, she was tested negative. So the camp went on. It was definitely more of a bonding camp than a training camp. There wasn't much training except for our water slots. No land pt, except for basketball maybe. What was satisfying was repairing/taping the equipments and washing the shed. We scrubbed the shed clean (whilst the lifeguards were having some competition though. We must have looked unglam.)! Team bonding was great..we played games and watched movie late into the night..sleep at night was over at kuok foundation, 5mins walk from the swimming pool. The rooms ain't very clean. So many curly hairs! HMMM.CP training camp ended on sunday, and zoom! Off I went for sports camp. Day0 (sunday). Met up for dinner at timbre, went home, unpack CP stuff, then packed for SC. Councillors met up at arts adm to paint our flag and slept over there.Day1. Freshies met up...played station games and pool games plus SP night. During pool slot, I went to help out with CP so I didnt get to spend much time with kua zui. My immune system was probably weak then, because I had a running nose that evening. Lack of rest, didnt bathe after getting out of the water and went into an air con mpsh after bathing = running nose that lasted until day2 evening.Day2 was seasports and sports at east coast day. Seasports wise there was kayaking, dragonboat and windsurfing. The kayaking section was really short though. It ended as quickly as it started. Dragonboat was fine..my 2nd attempt at it! A PFD flew out halfway through though. Then we had to paddle back to pick it up. Windsurfing was great! Haha. I saw alex and uncle timothy there! Alex came me a quick crashcourse on windsurfing again. I got whacked on the head by the boom though. :( It was a direct hit! Painful man. Sports at east coast included skating and frisbee! Haa. Again, i'm a noob when it comes to skating! Especially when it comes to skating on slopes. Tough to stop! Oh. We played soccer at The Cage too. Unfortunately, a guy from another OG dislocated his ankle whilst playing soccer. Quite scary to witness that scene. Even worse, that I wasn't able to help him much. :(Day3 was amazing race day! We went to diff places, like paintball! All the guys brought their no4 to wear..smart move! Haa. My maiden attempt at paintball. And there was also the kangaroo thingy (dunno what it's called). Tough to walk on them, much less jump! Thanks david for supporting me throughout! Haha. OOH. And we had froclicks and udders too. YUMMY yummy. Then came night cycling where we went to various stations such as ROM, old SJI, National Library, Singapore flyer and Liang Court. Liang Court was our first station and it definitely got everyone more awake, because we went to the KTV in there and sung. Super funny the scene. Towards the end of night cycling however, people started to tired out, including myself. I cycled, half asleep. =x Back in ecp however, i had mini races with joel, so I managed to keep awake. Thanks joel! (:Day4 occurred after we had 2h of sleep, along the east coast park stretch. First up was cable ski!!! Wheee. Another new experience. I didn't complete the round, but it was FUN!! We were supposed to head over to banana boat after that, but were told to report back to school midway through. So we just stopped for lunch at northpoint and then headed back to school. Sadly h1n1 had to appear just when the entire kua zui and camp were enjoying themselves. So we ended camp that evening. There was no chalet no bash, no sentosa games. And we had to qurantine ourselves for a week. Oh wells. The 4days had been fun however! Kua Zui's the chillax group! Haa.So here i am, being a good girl and obeying the stay at home rule. 5th day already. BORED at home!
Past. Present. Future
7/06/2009 12:55:00 PM <3
>>>